Frequently asked questions

Who can I register as a dependant on my medical aid?

You can register your spouse/partner, parent, child, brother, sister or your grandchild in respect of whom you are responsible for family care and support. Supporting documentation must be submitted indicated on the application form and waiting periods and underwriting might apply.

When must I notify the Society of changes to my membership?

Any address, marital status or registering of spouse or new-born baby should be done within 30 days following the event.

If I die, will my registered dependants still be covered?

Yes, your registered dependants at the time of your death shall be entitled to membership of the Society without any new restrictions, limitations or waiting periods. The dependants will be notified of their right to continue membership.

Can I cancel my membership?

If your membership to the Society is a condition of employment you will not be permitted to cancel your membership, unless you join your spouse or partner's medical aid as a dependant. However, a Member for whom membership is voluntary may terminate membership on giving one calendar month's written notice.

Am I still liable for contributions if I request immediate termination or don't give notice at all?

Yes. You will be held liable for full contributions for the whole notice period regardless of whether you serve the termination period or not.

How do I register for chronic medication?

If you suffer from a chronic condition, your Doctor must complete a chronic application form obtainable from the website and fax the completed form to 021 480 2742. Alternatively, your Doctor or Pharmacist can contact the Pharmacist-on-line on 0861 888 124 for on-line approvals.

What is a chronic condition?

A chronic condition is disease that is persistent or otherwise long-lasting in its effects. The term chronic is often applied when the course of the disease lasts for more than three months.

When will have to make an out of pocket payment?

An out of pocket payment or expense occurs when a provider charges more than the Society rate, resulting in you having to pay the difference in cost. The other example is when you voluntarily make use of a non-DSP hospital network provider for hospitalisation. Another example is when you do not obtain pre-authorisation for using a non-DSP ambulance provider, resulting in a 30% co-payment.